Well, finally I realized the power of my onboard graphics card … too lazy to realize even this (it took me a year to realize this obvious fact). I downloaded the latest nVidia drivers from here and also upgrade to the kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6. You can get it from any site which provides rpms or you can install is using yum. Not to forget I did it on Fedora Core 6 – Zod. So, here goes the exact procedure.
Warning: Take a backup of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file before experimenting with 3D desktop. It help in case of X server crashes.
1. Download the latest nVidia drivers from here.
2. Upgrade to kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6
(a)Download rpms kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6.i686.rpm and kernel-devel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6.i686.rpm and install using
[root@zod saini] rpm -ivh kernel* [Enter]
[root@zod saini] yum install kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 [Enter]
3. Reboot and switch to the newly installed kernel.
4. Login as root and delete the temp file for xserver
[root@zod saini] rm -f /tmp/.X0.lock [Enter]
5. Install the nVidia drivers
[root@zod saini] bash NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.20-1.2944.fc6-i686/ [Enter]
A user interface(I don’t know what to call it, graphical user interface on command line) will appear, answer the basic questions and you are done.
6. run this command
[root@zod saini] nvidia-xconfig [Enter]
7. Open your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in you favourite(Vim) editor and edit it as follows …
Add these lines to the “screen” section
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
and Add this line to the “Device Section”
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
or you can use my xorg.conf with appropriate modifications.
8. Now install Beryl + emerald or compiz
(a) Get rpms from any site which supplies rpms for packages in fedora and install
[root@zod saini] rpm -ivh beryl-* emerald-* [Enter]
[root@zod saini] rpm -ivh compiz-* [Enter]
(b) There is always a short cut
[root@zod saini] yum install beryl* emerald* [Enter]
[root@zod saini] yum install compiz* [Enter]
9. Now logout and login again and run command beryl-manager or compiz and you are done with installing beryl/compiz with latest nVidia drivers. Enjoy the 3D desktop.
10. If in the above process your X-server crashes, press Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login as root, replace your existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with the backup you took in the beginning and do startx.
I installed the above packages on Fedora Core 6, the Hardware is Nvidia Ge Force 6100 onboard.
Here are some screenshot of my 3D Desktop ( They can also be seen here ).